Self-Advocate


When I was first diagnosed, it was difficult to change my lifestyle. It was absolutely frustrating. But I had to do it. One of the things that I had to change was my mentality. I thought that I was receiving special treatment when I asked for things that others were not receiving. But, it is not. I have been learning that. It is still strenuous for me to ask for things that others are not receiving when I have this condition. One of the most important things my mother said to me was, "It is okay. Don't feel guilty about it!"

So, here's a list of things to do to self-advocate:


1) The Airport

You probably did not know or probably you did but you shouldn't be made to feel inadequate or guilty when you have diabetes. The things we do take more time and lots of patience, not just from the people who surround you but also yourself.

- You can carry liquids and gels that are 3.4 oz or less.

I always thought that I could not carry liquids, no questions asked. 
As a diabetic we always need to have something with us in case of an urgency:
low blood glucose. Liquids raise your blood sugar more quickly than solid foods.

- You can decide to do a pat down if you do not feel comfortable to go through the scan.
 

-Make sure you tell TSA that you're diabetic and wear medical alert jewelry.
If you haven't already bought a medical alert, you should. 
In case you get a low blood glucose and 
you become unconscious and cannot respond to questions, 
the medical alert can answer just enough for you.
IF you are conscious, it is a great and helpful thing to notify TSA that you have diabetes.
They are trained to handle situations with diabetics.

-Carry medical devices and insulin in a separate bag.
You can place all your diabetes equipment in a separate bag
and let TSA check it without putting it through the x-ray machine.
Having it in your carry-on medium-sized bag, I think, would be more efficient. 
Make sure you let TSA know that you are diabetic 
and would like for your equipment to be checked physically.

- If anything happens that you felt uncomfortable with and you feel like you were discriminated against call:

 1-800-DIABETES

the TSA Contact Center 
(TSA personnel): 1-866-289-9673

 Department of Transportation's Aviation Consumer Protection Division 
(other airport personnel like flight attendants): 1-202-366-2220

 

2) Work and School

If you are diagnosed with diabetes or any other illness or condition, then one of the best things you can do to self-advocate is getting an appointment at the Disabilities office or talking with those who you work for. When you are student going through K-12, you would probably need to go to the nurse's office or meet with other school authorities. If you are in college, many universities will have an SDS office or a Students with Disabilities office. If you are at a work place, or about to get hired, notifying your employer would be a good idea. If you approach these authorities about having diabetes, then you will be able to have opportunities to do things and have things that will make your life easier or at least require similar effort to your peers.

As I am a student, I am only familiar with the benefits of going to the authority figures at a college setting. Every college is different but these are some of the opportunities I found at college.  

- Accommodations given by professors:

I have the opportunity to bring snacks to rooms, 
if I have low blood sugar, with the exception of labs.
However, in labs, I can step outside of the room and handle my situation.
I also get to be able to have an appropriate amount of excused absences
 if I need to go to my endocrinologist's office/emergency room.

- Exams/Tests

I have the opportunity to get more time to take exams
 and have the ability to take it in a controlled environment. 
This is very helpful because I cannot bring snacks to where I am testing,
 but I can step out, if I need anything and the extra time compensates for that. 
Having a controlled environment, also, makes me feel secure
and I don't have to feel stressed out because everyone 
at the SDS office understands my situation.  

These accommodations are just to name a few.
And these are usually the main ones. 


3) Government Rights

All of the accommodations and opportunities before this one were given to you by the government and other institutions. However, there are times, because of ignorance, that people that work in the government will infringe on those rights, especially in law enforcement. It does not mean they are bad people. A lot of them are just unaware and are not very educated on certain conditions, especially Type 1 Diabetes. There are a lot of people that think that Diabetes is very much like type 2 and that is it. There is type 1 and type 2. Some people don't understand the implications and the dangers, diabetics might go through. And when you are in college, it is even worse. A lot of people have this mentality that all that college students are doing is going partying and drinking. So, when there has been a car accident and it is a college student, one might assume that the student has been drinking and is driving under the influence. It is very important, under those circumstances, to have certain possessions that might help police officers know that you are not drunk, just diabetic.

- Driver's License

On your Driver's License and permit, you have the opportunity to put "insulin dependent".
The workers at the DMV won't know, unless you tell them and give them proper documentation.

- Medical Alert Jewelry

I said it before and I will say it again. 
It is very important for you to have a medical alert bracelet or pendant on you at all times.
Medical alerts will have engraved: name, condition, and emergency contact number.


These are just to name a few. 
It is absolutely important to have these things with you, so you don't fall under the risk of dying.




I hope these things helped you out! For more information, go to the American Diabetes Association's website: 

Let me know what other things I missed out! We can all help out each other... 😊



Comments

Popular Posts