Fast-food Frenzy


BEWARE of my dark circles! LOL
A few days ago, I was faced with a Type 1 Diabetic just like myself that had the guts to go on social media and post a conversation she had with a "dear friend". That "friend" offered her a product that would supposedly decrease her insulin intake. She found it very annoying and asked those of us just like her, what we would say to her "dear" friend if we were ever in that said situation. I cannot lie, I got slightly irritated, not because of these ignorant people so much but because of the people who were posting. I had been seeing posts like these about ignorant people for weeks now.

My response to her was that she like so many others was exaggerating and that there are people who are ignorant and those who choose to be ignorant. My response, although a little rough, was not meant as an attack on her and she took it that way and responded very harshly, more than I was expecting. I was slowly realizing that much of the Type 1's like myself were doing it for ATTENTION 📣. What I found the most irritating was that the post overshadowed the posts of other people who really deserved to receive help and had legit problems. I thought to myself that she had no propriety and no decency because after everything that she said about this girl being her "dear friend" she was not acting nor appreciating her like she was a "dear friend". For more than a year, I have encountered these problems with both types of people alike: 

1) The Type 1 who does not have patience for those who are uneducated 
2) Those who are explained the problems of a type 1 but still persist in their lack of awareness.

 I totally get it. It is tough to be compared to a Type 2. Type 2's CAN go back to being healthy as they once were. Type 1's cannot. But I feel that in the world of Type 1's being compared to a Type 2 is seen as being negative. The causes of getting each type of diabetes is different but it is a difficult life no matter what type you are. My complaint with Type 1's is their frustration and impatience with the less educated. Totally get it as well, because some keep insisting that Type 1's can go back to being healthy as we once were before. But that is simply not possible. What I am frustrated with, whilst participating in Facebook groups of Type 1 Diabetics, is that they don't understand that when we get this condition we also carry the responsibility of educating and spreading awareness. We will forever have this role, because new generations will come and go. 


Now, the only time I have no patience with ignorance is when people are handling, cooking, or serving my food. Over a month ago, I went to Starbuck's and told them specifically that I wanted a latte with almond milk and Splenda (that has by the way 2g of carbohydrates for every cup). We were ordering in the Drive-thru, and I received my drink at the window. I drank unthinkingly, enjoying it with pure bliss. Then, in a bit more than thirty minutes later, my blood sugar was in the clouds, well over the 250s. Why? It was definitely the coffee. I hadn't drank nor eaten anything with exception for the latte. They had put regular sugar in my coffee rather than Splenda. I was so angry but we were so far from my Starbuck's at that point that I could not complain. That is the problem sometimes with fast-foods. They are in such a quick environment that they lose respect for the customers and what they have to say. I always have the inclination to scream at the top of my lungs before I even order: I AM A TYPE 1 DIABETIC! It used to happen a lot until I realized what I needed to do the next.

WTF?!
~✿~

WHAT TO DO:

- Order food you KNOW are low-carb and won't make your blood sugars go haywire.
  ex: vegetables, fruits, and proteins


- IF POSSIBLE, watch them while they prepare your food and/or drinks.



- TELL THEM that you are a Type 1 Diabetic.


- KEEP a CGM to keep track of your sugar levels.



What are your struggles socially as a Type 1 Diabetic?
 Questions?
Comment down Below


Sources:
http://mashable.com/
https://giphy.com/gifs/mashable-l3q2K5jinAlChoCLS/

Comments

Popular Posts